Stay tuned for more information regarding our 2018 Augie’s Quest ALS efforts!
Donations are still accepted online.
Raised For Augie's Quest by LA Fitness
People who are diagnosed with ALS each year in the U.S.*
Americans who may be living with ALS.*
Dedication to Find a Cure.
Augie Nieto, founder of Augie’s Quest
“You can either celebrate what you can do, or mourn what you can’t. Every day I wake up and create a new normal. I don’t dwell on what has changed, but instead, I focus on keeping busy achieving my goals.” – Augie Neito
There are two type of ALS: sporadic and familial. Sporadic is the most common and accounts for about 90% to 95% of all cases. This means it can affect anyone, anywhere, at any time. Familial ALS makes up the remaining 5% to 10% and is inherited. The offspring of those affected with ALS have about a 50% chance of inheriting the gene mutation and developing this crippling disease. According to a U.S. population study, a little over 6,000 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year (that’s 15 new cases a day).1 A bit scary, right?
LA Fitness recognizes the importance of finding a cure for this devastating disease and partnered up with Augie’s Quest, an organization founded by Augie Nieto, the CEO of Life Fitness. Augie was diagnosed with ALS in 2005 and has since worked relentlessly in finding a cure. Augie’s Quest funds the ALS Therapy Development Institute, which has made huge advancements towards finding a cure. Most recently, they have found an antibody therapeutic which “blocks specific immune cell activation and protects nerves against the progression of ALS and Alzheimer’s Disease.”2 While this is a major breakthrough for scientists and those living with ALS, there is still no cure.
For over 6 years, LA Fitness has joined Augie’s Quest to help find a cure for ALS. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS is a neurodegenerative disease that can impact anyone. The onset of ALS starts with muscle weakness or stiffness and can develop into a severe condition that impacts the ability to speak, move, eat or breathe.
In 2014, the popular ALS Ice Bucket Challenge helped create awareness for ALS and raise funds to help find a cure. We encourage you to join us as we build upon this momentum with ACTION FOR ALS to help create a better future for the next generation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Augie's Quest?
- What is ALS?
- Who is Augie Nieto?
- How can I donate?
- Where can I learn more about Augie's Quest?
Defrost Past Efforts.
*Donations collected online only. Guests using club facilities must prove they are at least 18 years of age or older or are at least 14 years of age and accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Guests must sign a waiver of liability prior to admission and adhere to all club rules and regulations. Guests may be presented with membership options. Zumba® is a registered trademark of Zumba Fitness LLC. ©2017 Fitness International, LLC. All rights reserved.
An email will be sent to the donor’s email address for individuals who donate $100 or more and qualify for the complimentary event shirt. Please respond to this email with contact information for shirt distribution. There is no guarantee for a specific event shirt size. One shirt per person who donates $100 or more via the official LA Fitness/Augie’s Quest donation link. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery. While supplies last.
ALS stats from, Facts You Should Know, ALS Association, Data Retrieved 1/15/2016.
- “Facts You Should Know.” ALSA.org. The ALS Association, n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2017. <http:www.alsa.org/about-als/facts-you-should-know.html>
- “AT-1501.” ALS Therapy Development Institute. The ALS Association, n.d. Web. 21 Mar. 2017. <http://www.als.net/at-1501/>